MISSER WOT (SPICY BERBERE RED LENTILS)
2 red onions finely minced
2 tablespoon fresh garlic finely minced
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cups of warm water
1 teaspoon Makulaya Spice Blend
1 teaspoon Mekelesha Spice Blend
1/2 cup Berbere
1 pound Red Split Lentils
Wash the lentils in hot water until the water runs clear, then soak the lentils for 30 minutes until fully rehydrated. Strain.
Chop the onions by hand into small even pieces and finely mince the garlic.
Water is added in small splashes to liquefy the mixture and prevent burning ingredients. Legumes burn easily if not frequently stirred. Oil is added toward the end of the cooking process. Mix to allow ingredients to thicken. The onion is thickened with water creating a thick onion base. Most of the cooking is done in medium-high heat. Simmering in low heat.
- Sauté onions with water over moderate heat until onions are fully cooked and translucent, about 10 minutes
- Add water to lightly liquefy, then add the Berbere. Mix for 3 minutes until the sauce develops into a thick paste consistency
- Add in the Makulaya and minced garlic, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute
- Slowly integrate the lentils into the sauce, adding water as needed to make sure the lentils do not burn, stir for 2 minutes
- Add water until the lentils are fully submerged. Cook and stir frequently for 10 minutes until the lentils are tender
- Lower heat and let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add Mekelesha spice and turn off heat, let sit for another 5 minutes
- Add sea salt to taste and let cool before serving!
The sauce can be left out overnight, do not refrigerate the sauce while hot.
Serves: 6-8 | Prep Time: 35 minutes | Cooking Time: 36-40 minutes
WRITTEN BY JOHANNA LARAWAY
Click here to download printable recipe