DORO ALICHA (CHICKEN STEWED IN TURMERIC)
3 lbs chicken leg and thigh meat (cubed boneless chicken optional)
1 whole fresh lemon
1 tsp salt
4 yellow onions, finely chopped
3 tablespoon of finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1/4 cup Niter Kibbeh
1/4 teaspoon Ird (Ethiopian turmeric)
1 teaspoon Afrenje
1 teaspoon Matafecha
1/2 cup dry white wine or Tej (honey wine)
3 cups water
4 hard-boiled eggs
Remove the skin & all the fat from the chicken legs and thighs. Wash the chicken; rub it with salt and fresh lemon. Let sit for 15 minutes. Wash and drain. Leave chicken on a strainer to dry to form protective skin.
Cook eggs & pierce with fork to allow the flavor to seep in.
- In a heavy enamel or iron stewpot, cook the onions over moderate heat for about 5 minutes or until translucent by adding water as needed.
- Once onions are translucent, add the Niter Kibbeh and ginger and continue to sauté for about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cook for 5 minutes. Add water as needed to avoid burning.
- Gently drop the chicken into the simmering sauce. Carefully stir chicken until coated on all sides (the sauce should cover the chicken) and add water as needed. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour in honey wine (optional) or dry white wine, Afrenje, Matafecha, and Ird, and bring to a boil. Cook briskly, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat and continue to cook until chicken is cooked and sauce is thick. 10mins
Let cool for 15 minutes and serve with Injera, yogurt, sour cream, or Ayeb.
Serves: 4-6 | Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cooking Time: 55-65 minutes
WRITTEN BY JOHANNA LARAWAY
Click here to download printable version