MEKELESHA FRENCH TOAST WITH PAN-FRIED BANANA
Customer Care . Aug 23, 2021
For the French toast:
- 6 eggs
- 1 & 1/2 cups of whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Mekelesha
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 brioche or challah loaf, cut into thick slices
- Ahara Chai Spice Ghee or butter for the pan
- Powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- Berries (optional)
For the bananas:
- 2-3 bananas, peeled and cut lengthwise
- 2-4 tablespoons of brown sugar, enough to create a layer at the bottom of the pan
- Mekelesha to taste
- 2 tablespoon Ahara Chai Spice Ghee or butter, more if necessary to avoid burning
- In a medium bowl or a large baking dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, Mekelesha, vanilla extract, and sugar until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the slices of bread, turning to coat so that it is entirely covered in the mixture. (Make sure the bread absorbs a good amount)
- Melt the ghee or butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in the bread slices and cook until a deep golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a serving plate when finished and cover with foil to keep warm.
- As soon as you begin cooking the toast, start prepping the bananas.
- Peel & cut the bananas lengthwise. In a separate large skillet, melt the ghee or butter on medium heat and toss in the sugar and Mekelesha so it covers the bottom of the pan. Place the bananas cut-side down and let sit for 5 minutes, allowing the sugar to dissolve and caramelize. If the sugar begins to burn, turn down the heat, add a bit more ghee, and move the bananas around the pan.
- Flip the bananas and pan-fry for another 2-4 minutes. Once finished, top the toast with the bananas, cut-side up (cuz it's pretty), and berries of your choosing (optional), sprinkle with powdered sugar, and dig in!
Serves: 3-5 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes
WRITTEN BY JOHANNA LARAWAY
Click here to download printable version