1 1/4 cup gluten-free Ethiopian Teff flour
1/4 cup sweet white rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon clove (or allspice)
3 heaping teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon Ird (Turmeric)
1 tablespoon Berbere Chili Pepper Blend (add more for an extra kick)
3/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
5 tablespoons Sugar mixed with 1-2 tsp Berbere for rolling
Finely chop the crystallized ginger. Gather all ingredients - you will need a whisk, an electric hand mixer, and a wooden mixing spoon as well.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the first 9 ingredients until blended. Make sure there are no big clumps of baking soda or Berbere. Mix in the chopped crystallized ginger.
- Using an electric mixer (or wooden spoon if a mixer is not available), cream the room temperature butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, and 7-10 minutes if you are mixing by hand (It might take longer but that's ok! It is a workout)
- Add the egg and molasses to the butter and brown sugar mixture and beat until fully blended.
- Pour in the dry ingredients, mix until just blended (do not over mix!)
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly butter two baking sheets.
- Form the refrigerated dough into balls (about two tablespoons per ball), and roll lightly in the sugar-Berbere mixture. Each baking sheet will fit 6 balls.
- Bake cookies for about 12 minutes, until cracked on top. Yields about 24 cookies.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes before enjoying!
WRITTEN BY JOHANNA LARAWAY
Click here to download printable version