ETHIOPIAN TOMATO COMPOTE (& SOFT CHEESE OVER TOAST)
Customer Care . Aug 26, 2021
- 16 oz grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 4-5 tablespoons Niter Kibbeh
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Berbere, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons Bessobela
- Sprinkle of Mitmita (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Soft cheese of your choosing (We recommend goat cheese to bring out the Berbere and the tanginess of the tomatoes OR burrata to really give the buttery-ness of the Kibbeh a boost)
- 1 baguette, cut into open-faced serving pieces
Slice the tomatoes and mince the garlic.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2-3 tablespoons of the Niter Kibbeh on high heat. When hot, add in the tomatoes, stir to coat in Kibbeh, reduce heat to medium-low and cover for 3-5 minutes. Check periodically to make sure the tomatoes aren't burning.
- Remove the lid and add in the Bessobela. Stir occasionally until the tomatoes are soft and the skins are separating.
- Next, add in the garlic and Berbere. Mix thoroughly and let simmer until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- If your tomato mixture is sticking to the bottom of the pan, add in 2 more tablespoons of Kibbeh (you're also welcome to leave it out), add salt to taste and a dash of Mitmita if you want to spice it up!
- Cover the pot and remove from heat - allow to sit for a few minutes to let the flavors really sink in.
- Toast the bread, spread with the soft cheese, top with the compote, and enjoy!
Serves: 10 | Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes
WRITTEN BY JOHANNA LARAWAY
EDITED BY IJEOMA EJEM
Click here to download printable version.