SEGA ALICHA (BEEF STEWED IN TURMERIC)
Customer Care . May 29, 2021
2 lbs of beef, cubed
3 yellow onions, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
3 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
1/4 cup Niter Kibbeh
4 cups of water
1/4 teaspoon Ird (Turmeric)
1 teaspoon Korerima
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 fresh jalapeño sliced
Cut the beef in bite size pieces by hand, rinse in hot water, and drain.
Chop the onions into even small pieces and finely mince the garlic and ginger.
- In a heavy enamel or iron stew pot, sweat the onions over moderate heat for about 5 minutes with the lid covered.
- Add 1/3 cup of hot water and continue to cook the onion with the lid closed for another 5 minutes, or until the water evaporates and the onions are translucent.
- Add another 1/3 cup of hot water and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. The onions should be moist and should not change color or burn.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and cook for 2 minutes, add the minced ginger and continue to cook for another two minutes before adding the garlic, Ird (Turmeric), Korerima, and pepper.
- Keep adding hot water, as needed. The sauce should have a soup-like consistency. Cook for another 5 minutes and add 1/4 cup of Niter Kibbeh (or 1/4 cup oil) - allow to melt.
- Add the meat, small pieces at a time, mix to integrate well into the sauce, until all the meat is added and cook for 15 minutes uncovered, stirring frequently. The sauce should be thick but not watery.
- Add salt to taste and reduce the heat to moderate, and continue to cook for 2 minutes. If butter (Niter Kibbeh) was not used, consider adding 1 tablespoon of Niter Kibbeh for flavor and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add sliced jalapeño (optional), salt to taste.
Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes, then serve with Injera.
Serves: 6-8 | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 45-50 minutes
WRITTEN BY JOHANNA LARAWAY
Click here to download printable version